So I’ve been having trouble getting up in the morning and it’s starting to annoy me. I don’t like being unproductive. Ever. I need to always know what my plan is for the day and what I’ll accomplish in the hours to come. By the end of the day, I absolutely need to have the feeling of accomplishment or else I feel like I’ve wasted a day of my life. I don’t know if this is a good trait or a bad trait (maybe a little of both) but all I know is that I need to break my habit of sleeping in in the morning.
Some people, if their life schedule allows it (i.e.: work, school, kids) would love to sleep in every morning. Actually, scratch that. I’m sure everyone would love to take it easy every morning and sleep in. I admit that getting a full nights sleep and waking up to nothing to do is the greatest.
My problem every morning is just getting out of bed. I set my alarm but I hit snooze about 5 times. I set my alarm again and I just turn it off. I wake up and it’s like Antarctica after pulling the warm blankets off. I sometimes get up and look at my clock and say “Nah I still have time.” Bad habits! Every single one of them! So I’ve come up with a few solutions that will help me and hopefully you if you have these problems as well:
- Go to Bed Early
- It’s kind of obvious and probably the most simple solution. Early to bed, early to rise. Adult humans should get 8 hours of sleep every night. If you have to wake up at 6am, go to bed at 10pm. It’s not even that early to go to sleep at 10pm. You can do it.
- Fluids before bed
- This solution has helped me the most. I drink a full 8oz cup of water before I go to sleep. Eight hours later I’ll wake up and want to stay under my covers. But I can’t because my bladder is full and it forces me to get out of bed. TMI but it works. And on a healthier side, it’s always good to drink an extra cup of water during the day. Multi-purpose.
- Temperature Timer
- Set the air conditioner or the heater (depending on your temp preference) to turn on 30 min before you’re supposed to get up.
- Pets? Yes, pets. Leave your door open. Your dog or cat will wake you up just in time for breakfast. And they’re very determined to never miss a meal. I have 2 dogs, but neither of them have this trait. So it doesn’t really apply to all pets.
- Exercise more. It’s been proven that the more exercise you get and the more fit you are, the more satisfying your sleep will be. You feel as tired when that alarm goes off. I do yoga before bed just to make myself knock out faster.
I hope at least 1 of these solutions will help you get up easier in the morning. 🙂